I love birthdays or rather, I love celebrating birthdays. I write my friends' birthdays down in my calendar and try to send a card or an email (sometimes a Facebook posting) to wish them a happy day. This quote from Henri Nouwen sums up my feelings very nicely in his book Here and Now:
"Birthdays need to be celebrated. I think it is more important to celebrate a birthday than a successful exam, a promotion, or a victory. Because to celebrate a birthday means to say to someone: 'Thank you for being you.' Celebrating a birthday is exalting life and being glad for it. On a birthday we do not say: 'Thanks for what you did, or said, or accomplished.' No, we say: 'Thank you for being born and being among us.'"
The externs are in charge of getting birthday cards and goodies for everyone in the department. The end of February and the beginning of March have been very busy on the birthday front but I enjoy the task of celebrating someone's day of birth. I love giving birthday cards (well, cards in general) and usually take a long time picking them out. The Hallmark Fresh Ink is probably my favorite line of card to choose from so don't be surprised if you get a square Hallmark card from me on your birthday. Let me know if you want to be added to my list of birthdays; you'll probably get a card from me on your big day!
2 comments:
i think i'm an easy one for you to remember. :)
i love fresh ink cards!! remind me of your birthday again, so i can send you one!
Post a Comment