Monday, April 27, 2009

Books from childhood

My Bible study group is having a girls' weekend in San Diego and we are required to bring a new copy of one of our favorite children's books. I spent a very long time in the children's section of Barnes and Noble tonight. I had a hard time finding a book to buy because I found so many that brought back strong memories of my childhood. My parents read to my brother and me every night. I think that's why I grew up loving to read. Even though this quote is from a movie, I think it's very true in my life:

"When you read a book as a child, it becomes part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does."

I found I would pick up each book and thumb through it, seeing the pictures on the page that I vividly remembered in my mind. Richard Scary's Busy Busy World with Lowly and Huckle. The Berenstein Bears books and moral of the story. Frog and Toad Are Friends was on the bargin table! I wasn't able to find my favorite story time book from my childhood. I don't know what the name of it was but it was big and red. Justin and I were given our own copies of this same story book and I'm pretty sure mine ended up decorated with stickers all over it. Anyway, one of the stories in the book was "The Little Red Hen." You can read the story at this link, if you are unfamiliar with it. But every time after you read the line "And she did," you must insert little Julia's voice saying "with her chicks." In my book, the pictures showed the Little Red Hen doing all the work with her little chicks helping and apparently my young self thought their help should be mentioned when it was being read to me.

I finally decided on an Eric Carle book. While he is probably best known for The Very Hungry Catapillar, The Grouchy Ladybug has always been my favorite. My dad would make sound effects for what was happening in the pictures and each bug/animal had a different voice. I also loved the different sized pages and the whale's tail. I think I might have learned how to tell time from this book too. Lots of memories brought up from a few books. It's amazing. If you have a free night, I suggest talking a walk through the children's section of your local bookstore and see what memories are stirred in your life. You might just be surprised.

2 comments:

Carrie Leigh said...

So I kinda feel like the post was written especially for me. :) As a lover of children's literature I enjoyed this so much! I go to the children's section all the time just b/c it's so much fun. PS - Eric Carle is my favorite children's author. Great choice!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me get something in my eye at work, Julia. Thanks a lot!