Thursday, December 4, 2008

December already?!

This is a picture of my hibiscus today, December 4th:


That's right, my tropical plant is in bloom in December. Welcome to Arizona! The weather has been great but Scottsdale winter weather is definitely milder than any other place I've lived (including H-town). It just doesn't feel like Christmas time. That has not deterred me from listening to Christmas music and contemplating buying a Christmas tree for my little apartment. :) I think part of my disbelief that it is actually December stems from my Thanksgiving not feeling like Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, I had a great turkey day. Greg and Misty came over and we celebrated together. We had turkey, pie, Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and a movie. All of that equals Thanksgiving in my book. But this was the first year I wasn't doing all of those things with my family. I think it all worked out for the best, since Mom and Dad were taking care of my grandparents (both are in the hospital) and Justin went to Tulsa with Emily. My family is pretty awesome and I really do like being with them--especially at holidays. I'm way excited about going home in a couple of weeks. The non-family Thanksgiving makes going home for Christmas that much sweeter.

Time for more pictures!


My first attempt at making Meem's chess pie (thank you Jamie for passing me the secret Barclay family recipe). And finally, here's Greg, Misty, and the turkey. Yum!


That's all I've got for my Thanksgiving update. Maybe my next post will include a picture of Christmas decorations.

3 comments:

hello jamie: said...

How were the pies? I got a deep dish pie crust and made a thick one and BOY-O was it sweet. I think 2 thin ones is the better way to go.

Can't WAIT to see you at Christmas. XOXOX

erin said...

IF you are still in Arizona next year, then you can come to thanksgiving with my family! I know it wont be the same, but maybe it will feel a little better. I can't wait to see you in a couple weeks! I'll be back around the 14th.

Amy said...

Mmm...just thinking about the Barclay chess pies gets my mouth watering.

You could do what I do and just go get a 3-4 foot pre-lit tree from Bed, Bath & Beyond. I put it up on a little table and it ends up being way cute, but I actually have more ornaments that the little tree can hold. :)